People Driven Credit Union announces its 27th annual College Scholarship Essay Contest
Entries due by end of day, May 19, 2017
People Driven Credit Union is proud to sponsor two annual scholarship essay contests.
High School Scholarship Contest
High School aged members entering grades 9–12 for the 2017-18 school year are eligible to enter to win one of Five (5) $500 Certificates of Deposit that will mature around the time of their expected High School graduation. Entrants must be the primary member* on a PDCU account.
College Scholarship Contest
Members between 17-25 years old, who are the primary member* on a PDCU account, are eligible to participate in this year's contest. If you plan to attend college in the 2017-18 school year, you are invited to submit an essay for this year's contest.
A total of $16,500 will be awarded in this year's college contest:
- One (1) Rose Hubbard Memorial Scholarship winner of $2,000
- One (1) Margaret Patterson-Bailey Scholarship winner of $2,000
- Four (4) $1,500 Scholarship winners
- Four (4) $1,000 Scholarship winners
The essay topic for this year's contest is:
You've just invented something that will change the world!
What is it? How does it work? How will it make the world better?
Essays should be 1-2 pages. All entries must be received by end of day, Friday, May 19 and must include the complete information from the application. Any entry not meeting these requirements, or any other contest rule, may be disqualified.
Winners will be announced by email to all entrants on (or soon after) June 30, 2017.
If you have any questions about this year's essay contest, please contact Michael Ameloot at (248) 263-4112, or by email at: firstname.lastname@example.org
1. The student applying for the scholarship must be the primary member* on an account at People Driven Credit Union.
2. Applicants for the High School Scholarship must be attending high school, grades 9-12, during the 2017-18 school year.
3. Applicants for the College Scholarship must be between 17-25 years old as of June 1, 2017 and plan on attending a college or university during the 2017-2018 school year.
4. The scholarship will be awarded based upon submission of an essay based on this year's topic. Please restrict your essay to no more than 1 - 2 pages (single or double spaced.)
5. Only one entry per member.
6. Essays will be judged upon content, originality, grammar, punctuation and spelling.
7. To help assure unbiased judging of the essays, all entries should be anonymous of author. Any reference within the essay that might identify its author may be edited out. This includes the name of the school you will be attending.
8. Winners will be announced on, or soon after, June 30, 2017.
9. Prizes Awards for High School Contest: Five (5) winners will receive a $500 Certificate of Deposit (CD) into their PDCU account. The CD will mature in June of their expected high school senior year. CD may not be withdrawn early before that maturity date. Upon maturity, funds will be transferred directly to the member's share account. CD will not roll over into a new CD. Interest rate will be based on current PDCU interest rates at the time winners are determined.
10. Prizes Awards for College Contest Before receiving scholarship funds, winners must provide the credit union with proof of enrollment to an accredited college, university, or community college for the 2017-2018 school year. Note: this information is not required when submitting essay. It only applies after winning a scholarship. Scholarship awards will be deposited directly to the winner's credit union account upon receipt of proof of enrollment. Alternatively, scholarships may be sent directly to the college or university to be credited to the student's registration account, in which case proof of enrollment is not required.
11. The decision of the judges will be final.
12. PDCU employees, official family and members of their families are not eligible for the scholarship program.
13. The essay and application must be received by end of day on May 19, 2017
14. Essays & application may be submitted by email to email@example.com.
Include all of the application information in an email, and attach your essay file. We prefer MS Word format, but can also accept text copied into the body of an email.
15. All essays become the property of People Driven Credit Union.
Click here for the application and essay entry.
* Primary member means that they are the first name on the account. Joint members are not eligible. However, family members of a PDCU member can open their own account with the student as primary and a parent or guardian as joint member.